Here's what you need:
2. Create a tenon on each ends of all 4 pieces.
3. Cut 2 x 2 into (4) 17 1/4" pieces.
4. Transfer tenon measurements to top of legs.
5. Use a plunge router with a 1/4" upspiral bit to router the mortise hole.
7. Clamp. If you only have 2 clamps, glue together one side at a time and allow to dry at least a half hour before removing clamps.
8. After bench is put together and dry, rip your 1 x 2 x 36 in half and cut to fit along the inside bottom of the long sides.
9. Use glue and self tapping screws to hold in place.
10. Cut plywood to fit bottom.
11. Nail into place.
13. Place barrel hinge on edge of your 1 x 4 and 1 x 12. Trace around them.
14. Use your plunge router to router out the depth of the hinge so the hinge can sit flush. Set hinges aside.
15. Finish your bench top. See what I did here.
16. Finish your bench base. See what I did here.
17. Attach 1 x 4 and 1 x 12 with hinges.
18. Set the top on centering on the sides and flush with the back. Nail the 1 x 4 into the back side and legs.