My original idea for the new table top was to build it out of oak and stain it to match a beautiful antique cabinet that was going to be used in this dining room. But when we were discussing finishes, I learned that she wanted to incorporate some walnut that she had stashed out in her shed. In the end, we decided to make it out of oak, walnut, cherry, and hickory.
The first step I took was cutting all of the boards to size (at this point, it wasn't perfect because there would still be more cutting to do.
I squared the boards up the best I could with my table saw and miter saw then ran them through the jointer to make sure the edges were also square. Then I began to put the boards together, two at a time. I used a biscuit joiner and glue to do this. I clamped the boards together and allowed them to dry and then had to run them through my planer to too make them even.
My planer is only 12" wide and since the wood grain is running left/right AND up and down, taking it to the local saw mill to have it planed down perfectly wasn't an option. So I put my hand planer to work.
I regrettably forgot to take pictures of removing the old top and putting the new top on but this table was build a little differently than most. When we removed the top, the legs came off completely. There was no frame holding it together (obviously since it extended.) So we put the top on the floor face down and rebuilt the legs and frame with 2x4's (since it won't be seen).